It is know by various names like Pani Puri, Golgappa, Gup-chup, Puchka. This dish is originated in Magadh in South Bihar & slowly due to miragtion of people became very famous all over India.
Its a nice spicy & sweet in taste. It is made of 3 important ingredients, Puris, Spicy & sweet water & white vatana or sprouts as filling.
Puris 1 packet
Boondi 2-3 tsp (optional)
For pani :
Fresh corriender leaves 1 bunch
Fresh mint leaves (pudina) 1 bunch
Green chillis 8-10 nos
lemon juice 2 tsp
Panipuri masala 2tbsp
Mint masala (pudina masala) 1 tsp (optinal)
Black salt 1tsp
Salt to taste
For Filling :
White vatana 1 cup ( boiled)
Mixed sprouts 1 cup ( boiled)
Boiled potatoes 2 nos
Salt to taste
[ You can use any one of the above as filling or combination of mix sprouts & white vatana ]
For Pani :
1. In blender make a fine paste of corriender leaves, mint leaves & green chillis together.
2. Make a tamarind pulp add jaggery it & mix well. You can also use tamarind & date chutney.
3. In a container take 4 cups of water add panipuri masala, green & tamarind chutney. Add black salt, salt , lemon juice, mint powder & mix well.
4. Add some boodi & mix well.
5. Chill this pani atleast for an hour before serving.
How to make this dish while serving :
1. In plate arrange some puris with the filling aside & fill the pani in a bowl accompanied by spoon.
2. Break the puri in the center, fill it with the filling. Fill with the pani & relish it
- Its a nice combination of crisy puri, soft filling & spicy water.
- In Mumbai mainly white vatana is used as filling know as Ragada which is slightly hot.
- To add nutritional value with vatana you can use mix sprouts.