This is one of the most favorite and popular north-Indian dish among all the paneer dishes. Its very simple to make and tastes really good. There are several recipes to make this dish but recently I have tried to cook it differently and it really came out very tasty. So would like to share with you all.
1/2 packet paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cut in medium side cubes
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mutter (green peas) blanched in hot water
4 finely chopped tomatoes
1/2 finely chopped onion
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp shahi paneer masala (optional)
Whole garam masala
Garam masala powder to sprinkle
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
1. You can deep fry paneer cubes. I have shallow fried the paneer cubes in 1/2 tsp of oil in a non stick pan.
2. In a pan or kadhai heat oil. Add whole garam masala and allow it to crackle.
3. Add onions and saute. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the onions are translucent.
4. Add tomatoes and allow it to cook well until the tomatoes are mushy.
5. Remove from the heat. In blender make a fine paste of this mixture.
6. Heat oil in pan add this paste, now add red chilli powder, shahi paneer masala and mix well.
7. Saute this masala well until it leaves oil at the sides. Do not burn it.
8. Add half cup of milk and some water for good gravy consistency.
9. Add the blanched peas and salt. Mix well.
10. Add the paneer cubes and sprinkle some garam masala powder and let it cook for 5 minutes.
11. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and some shredded paneer and serve with naan or roti.
Tip : When you deep fry paneer cubes put them in water for sometime and then squeeze out the water by pressing them lightly and add them to the dish. In this way your paneer will not get stretchy instead will be soft to eat.