Dum Aloo is a North Indian dish specifically comes from Kashmiri Cuisine one of the finest and rich cuisine. Major for Kashimiri cuisine is influenced from Kashmiri Pandits.
In this dish smaller size potatoes are used which are boiled and fried. They are cooked in a curd based gravy with other Indian spices. This is one of the popular dish.
Baby Potatoes 10 nos
Kashmiri red chilli powder 2 tsp
Garam masala powder 2 tsp
Asafotida (hing) a pinch
Cumin seeds 2 tsp
Corriender powder 2 tsp
Sauf powder 1 tsp
Dry ginger powder Sunth 1/2 tsp
Curd 2 cups
Pure ghee 3tbsp
Mustard oil 1/4 cup
Oil to deep fry the potatoes
Salt to taste
1. Boil the small potatoes, peel and prick through with a toothpick and fry slowly in hot oil.
2. Drain the excess oil, add pinch of salt and keep aside.
3. Make a thin mixture of curd and water and Strain it and keep aside. Mix all the spices in this mixture.
4. Heat oil add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle add hing.
5. Add the curd and water mix to the tempering in the pan and let it boil.
6. When boils, add the fried potatoes.
7. Dum and let it cook for 15 minutes.
8. Serve hot with chapati or naan.