Sarson Da Saag or Sarson ka Saag is an traditional dish of Punjab and very popular dish in India. It is mainly accompanied by Makke ki Rotti ( Indian bread made with corn flour). It is mainly consumed during winter season.Its tastes great and very simple to make.
So lets enjoy the winter and give our taste buds a nice punjabi treat.
Sarson leaves ( Mustard leaves ) 2 bundles
In this recipe I have used frozen sarson leaves 1 packet
Palak( Spinach ) 1/2 bundle
Onion 1 no ( sliced )
Tomato 1 no ( sliced )
Ginger/garlic paste 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder 2 tsp
Corriender powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Hing ( Asafotida ) a pinch
Salt to taste
Ghee 2 tbsp
For Tadka ( Tempering ) :
Ghee 2 tsp
Mustard seeds a pinch
Ginger finely chopped
Onion few slices
Dry red chillis 2 nos
If you are using fresh sasson wash and finely chop and blanch it for 5 minutes.
1. Thaw the frozen sarson and boil it for 10 minutes.
2. Wash and chop the palak and keep aside.
3. Heat ghee in pan or kadhai add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add hing.
4. Add onions and ginger/garlic paste. Saute till onions are translucent.
5. Add tomatoes and all the spices and mix well. Saute till the tomatoes are softend.
6. Add palak and sarson and mix well. Sprinkle some water and let it cook till the leaves are soften and half done.
7. Add some makke ka atta ( corn flour ) and salt and mix well and cover the pan with the lid. Allow saag to cook completely.
The saag is ready to pour in the blender
8. Now pour this saag in a blender add water and blend it to a fine paste.
9. Now pour it back in a pan, add some water to get thick gravy consistency and let it boil for 5 minutes.
10. Pour the saag in a serving bowl and keep aside.
11. In a small pan heat 2 tsp of ghee add some mustard seeds, dry red chillis and ginger and come slices onions and saute for few minutes.
12. Pour this tadkaon the saag and its already to eat.
13. Serve hot with makke ki roti.
Sarson ka Saag served with Makke ki Roti