Malvani cuisine come from the Konkan region of Maharastra and Goa.Malvan is a town in the Sindhudurg district on the west coast of Maharashtra. This cuisine is mostly popular for its spicy non vegetrrian dishes but there are vegetarian dishes too. Malvani cuisine overlaps Maharastrian and Goan cuisine but at same time it has its differnent taste and preparation style.
Malvan being in costal region variations of cocconut is used dry coconut, grated fresh coconut etc. Variety of masalas have dried red chilies and other spices like coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin, cardamom, ginger, garlic, etc. Some dishes also use kokum, dried kokam (amsul), tamarind, and raw mango (kairi).
Sol Kadhi made from kokum a pink colour appitizer drink is very famos.
Getting back to Malavani Style Anda/Egg curry..... This time I wanted to try something new other than basic egg curry. Basically this recipe is of Malavani Chicken curry which I have modified a little and tried in my own style of cooking and it came out delicious and everyone loved it.
- Eggs 4 nos (hard boiled eggs)
- Green chillis 2 nos (mediem spicy)
- Fresh corriender leaves 1/2 cup (coarsly chopped)
- Garlic 4 nos
- Ginger coarsly chopped
- Onion 1 1/2 no ( chopped)
- Fresh corriender leaves for garnishing
- Fresh coconut 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder 1 1/2 tsp
- Malvani masala 1 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillis 2 nos
- Hing a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2tbsp + 3 tbsp
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan add chopped onions and saute till translucent. now add grated fresh coconut. Saute till onions and coconut are light golden in colour. Turn off the flame and let it cool for some time.
2. In a blender add ginger, garlic, green chilli, corriender leaves and sauted onion and coconut and grind into fine paste.
3. Using the same pan heat 3 tbsp of oil add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Had hing and dry red chillis.
4. Add the the fresh grounded paste and saute the masala till oil separates the masala.
5. Add red chilli powder, malvani masala and saute for 5 minutes.
6. Add enough water to make a semi thick gravy or as preferred gravy consistency. Add salt and sprinkle garam masala.
7. Let it boil until oil is seen on the surface.
8. Cut the boiled eggs in half and add to the gravy.
9. Granish with fresh corriender leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati and some slices onion and a lemon wedge.
- To make Malavni Chicken, Marinate the chicken in curd, ginger, garlic and green chilli paste with some malvani masala sprinkled on till. Saute this marinated chicken in pan till well done and add to the curry mentioned above.