Saoji is Maharastrian dish from Nagpur city in Vidharbha State in India. This is very spicy dish and tastes grest. Originally this is Saoji Chicken dish which I have modified a little into vegetarian dish. Orginal Saoji chicken is made with gravy, in this recipe I have kept it dry. The gravy version coming soon.
Whole Garam Masala :
Poppy seeds (khuskhus) 2 tsp
Fennel seeds ( sauf ) 2 tsp
Anise 1 no
Whole black pepper few
Cloves 3 nos
Bay leaves 2 nos
Cinnamon stick 1 no small size
Cumin seeds 11/2 tsp
Dry red chillis 2 nos
Corriender seeds 2 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 6 tbsp
Paneer 1 packet ( cut in medium size cubes, crumble 2-cubes )
Onion 1 no ( finely chopped )
Ginger/garlic paste 1 tsp
Corriender leaves finely chopped
1. In hot water add paneer cubes and let them rest in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside. This will soften the paneer.
2. Heat a pan add all the whole garam masala ingredients and dry roast. In blender grind it into fine powder.
3. Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Add hing, ginger/garlic paste and onions. Saute till onions are translucent.
4. Now add the fresh grounded garam masala and other spices and saute till oil seperates the masala. Sprinkle little water if the masala starts to burn. Stir the masala to avoid burning and it should be well cooked.
5. Now add the paneer cubes, salt and mix well. Add few corriender leaves and add very little water.
6. Cover the pan with lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with fresh corriender leaves and serve with chapati.