1 bunch spinach
1 finely chopped tomato
1/2 finely chopped onion
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry red chillis
2 tsp oil
A pinch asafoetida (hing)
Salt to taste
During winters I prefer using mustard oil as it gives nice flavour to palak saag and it is healthy during winters.
1. Wash the palak and immerse the palak in the hot water for 10-15 minutes.
2. In a blender make a fine paste of palak and keep aside.
3. In a pan heat oil ( i have used mustard/sarso oil) add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
4. Add asafoetida, add dry red chillis, chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Saute till the onions are translucent.
5. Add all the spices and tomatoes. Mix well and cook the masala till well done.
6. Now add the palak paste and little water, salt and mix well.
7. Cover with a lid and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
8. Serve hot with chapati, naan or pulao.
- Tip : You can also give tempering of ghee before serving it gives nice flavor to saag.
- Heat ghee add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chillis and pour this tempering on the saag before serving.